Thomas Tunnock limited -UK
Tunnock's tasteful past
How do you create ever-popular
biscuit products? Well, start with excellent ingredients. Add layers of
ownership by the same, caring family. Then cover with a generous sprinkling of
attention to detail and personal service.
This winning formula was initiated by Thomas Tunnock in 1890, after he paid £80
for a shop in Uddingston. Under the guidance of Thomas (and later his son,
Archie), Tunnock's operated only as bakers and purveyors of quality flour
confectionery until the 1950s. This decade saw the emergence of four original
speciality items: Caramel Wafers, Snowballs, Caramel Logs and Teacakes.
Consequently, business boomed and factory extensions followed, the latest as
recent as 2002.
The innovative management has always remained true to the original principles
and is close to the local community. Indeed, it is funny how the more things
change at Tunnock's, the more they stay the same.
Equipped with cutting edge
machinery, the Tunnock factory occupies around 250,000 sq ft. It produces all
the quality elements required to create the famous Tunnock taste - the wafers,
the caramel, the marshmallow and even the distinctive rich creamy chocolate.
Today, this factory still stands 100 yards away from the site where Thomas
Tunnock opened his first shop in 1890.
The coveted reputation acquired
down through the years is still enjoyed by Tunnock's today. Thanks to the
efforts of 550 dedicated staff, who are determined to maintain the company's
enviable high standards. All this in a friendly family enviroment. No wonder
the brand is sold internationally and nationwide by all the main supermarkets
and cash & carry outlets.
The family-owned company is currently headed by Boyd Tunnock CBE, the founder's
grandson. This connection with the past is strengthened by the presence
of Boyd's daughters and son-in-law who all play a crucial role in managing the